[NFBCS] unix and Linux folow up

Rynhardt Kruger rynkruger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 08:50:29 UTC 2022

Hi,

There are some mailing lists which you might be interested in, the oldest
is probably the Blinux (Blind+Linux) list:

Another one is the Orca list:

Finally there is a Clubhouse club called "Blind Linux Users Group" of which
I am a co-host. It is mostly informal with monthly Linux chats, although we
plan to do some demos/presentations in the future.

As a side note, if you only need command line, you might consider
installing a command line only accessible distro in a VM. One which is
currently very popular is Slint:

https://slint.fr

It is a mainstream distro (originally the Slackware Internationalization
project), but the maintainer is really active with accessibility. Slint
comes with the Speakup screen reader, which has a keymap similar to review
mode from NVDA. However, it does allow you to install a graphical desktop
with Orca as well.

HTH,

Rynhardt