[NFBCS] Recommendations for Single Sheet or Non-Tractor Feed Braille Printers

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Sun Jan 16 15:38:55 UTC 2022

Hi, full disclosure, I am founder and president of ViewPlus. Let me give you some insight. ViewPlus has worked hard to create several embossers that feed single sheet paper. The Emprint SpotDot (ink plus emboss) feeds single sheet paper using the HP ink printer feeder that is part of the machine. The inexpensive Embraille is a tractor feed machine that has a manual feed option. Both are restricted to letter width pages, but both work very well. The Delta and new
Rogue sheet model have more flexible automatic sheet feeders that can fee pages up to 12x18 inches and varying paper weights. These have an adjustment knob for optimizing for the paper weight and if used carefully can do a good job. These are the most reliable single sheet braille embossers on the market, but their feed error rates are not as good as most commercial ink printers. Tractor feed embossers continue to be very popular because they feed with ultra-reliability and have far higher capacity.

What you should buy depends on your needs. If you can do with a modest speed letter-width embosser, have a look at the Embraille. Lots of people use it by feeding in individual sheets manually. Especially if you move it around from place to place a lot. It is a nice little embosser, also does good graphics, and is the least expensive embosser on the market. If this doesn't work for you, ViewPlus would love to sell you a Delta.

John Gardner