[NFBCS] Action-Audio, for Any Avid Sports Fans / Watchers

Nathaniel Schmidt schmidty2244 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 02:12:47 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I thought I'd post this here as I'm not sure how many of you in the US, UK
and wherever else many of you may be from, may be aware of a fascinating
software and AI-related innovation being undertaken by Tennis Australia,
called Action-Audio <https://action-audio.com/> . They appear to be
currently testing it out for the first time this year with the Australian
Open tennis tournament.

I believe it is basically an audio-spatial simulation of whatever get picked
up by the on-court motion sensors in terms of ball and racket movement. It
claims 3-D feedback but I've only tested it with headphones.

So essentially, each side of the headphones represents each side of the
court. While the standard AO Radio <https://ausopen.com/listen>  stream
plays, a panning bell represents the bounce and movement position of the
ball; different pitches of beeping sounds represents either a forehand or
backhand hit of the ball; and different numbers of sporadic pinging sounds
represent how close to the perimeter the ball goes.

It would be great if they could get as much feedback as possible, as this is
apparently one of the first mainstream sporting endeavours to be
implementing a feature like this. The most accessible player for the stream
can be found at

https://actionaudio.out.airtime.pro/actionaudio_a

And the main stream is located at

https://actionaudio.airtime.pro/embed/player?stream=auto

I would encourage people to give it a try and let them know what you think.

Regards,

Nathaniel

Nathaniel Schmidt

Undergraduate student

Bachelor of Computer Science (S306)

School of Information Technology

Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment

Deakin University, Melbourne (Burwood) campus

https://www.deakin.edu.au/

E: njschmidt at deakin.edu.au <mailto:njschmidt at deakin.edu.au>

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/njsch/

GitHub: https://github.com/njsch/