[NFBCS] Accessible Printers

Ed Barnes edbarnes7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 00:43:21 UTC 2022

Hi folks.
Unfortunately I have no experience to offer regarding the brother
model referenced below.
The cannon model referenced is mostly inaccessible even though you can
control some functions of it from the pc software that comes with it
after it's installed in windows and it does air print if you are an
iPhone user.
The setup is totally inaccessible especially if you are setting it up
as a wireless device, because you have to enter your wireless network
name etc during the setup using the inaccessible touch screen.
When you install it in windows it installs a copy of its manual which
is mostly accessible on your machine.
And, if you give it a static ip on your home network once it connects
to your wifi you can open up your favourite web browser and see ink
cartridge levels etc by going to for example 192.168.2.54.
I bought one of these Cannon's and set it up at my parents' home last Summer.
As far as accessibility goes and I've setup probably more of these
things than most on this list as I have been doing desktop support for
around 20 years, the only totally accessible wifi printer I ever setup
was an hp laserjet m102 however this one is a printer only, not an
mfd.
For this hp, you install the software which came with it and during
the setup you plug an usb cable into a windows or mac laptop, it grabs
your wifi network info from the computer it is connected too and
connects the printer to you wifi.
>From there, grab its ip from your dhcp client list on your ethernet
modem, give the printer a static ip so it never changes, plug that in
during the driver installs on your devices and you're cooking with
gas. :)
If anyone has any other questions, ask away and I'll try to help! :)
Regards,
Ed