[NFBCS] Tips on Reporting Accessibility Issues to App Developers

Jim Denham jdenham at wcblind.org
Mon Jun 13 13:53:28 UTC 2022

Tina:

You are correct, it is always more powerful for developers to actually see someone struggling to use various aspects of an app compared to just reading an email. One technique I have used in the past is to make a short video of myself using an app with Voiceover. This video shows how I am unable to activate certain controls or what happens when I encounter an inaccessible portion of the app. If done properly, this can be a powerful tool to highlight accessibility issues. Also, the fact that you actually took the time to make a video speaks to your concern about these problems. One tip I will share. While YouTube is an easy way to share your video with a development team, do not make the video public. Making the video private and sending a link is a way to say that you want to share this information with the company without publicly bashing them. If they fail to respond to your email requests or tell you that accessibility is not important, then you can make the video public, but initially I have always sent a private video. I've talked to several companies who truly appreciate this and who have corrected issues displayed in a video.
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Jim