[NFBCS] Screen Readers Reading Fonts That Are All Uppercase

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 23:02:40 UTC 2022

Greetings:

I was working with another blind person this week on using a font in MS/Word for which the All Caps checkbox needed to be turned on. I typed “This is a test” in lowercase. Then I selected it. Next, I went into the Font dialog and checked the All Caps Box.

Guess what. Both JAWS and Narrator did not indicate that what I was typing was in uppercase. However, NVDA did. I verified my findings by printing the document to PDF and then running Convenient OCR against. The letters were, in fact, uppercase.

This is not necessarily a JAWS nor a Narrator bug. But it does reflect some kind of inconsistent technique used to get information out of the document object model.

I just thought folks on this list might find this little conundrum fascinating.😊

Cordially,

Curtis Chong