[NFBCS] The Fine Line Between Reasonable Versus Unreasonable Accommodations

Amanda Lacy lacy925 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 20:16:56 UTC 2022

I have never had vision, and I would rather stay in my quiet neighborhood with my husband than travel to strange places because of social pressure. It is still evident to me that the tools I have been given to work and learn with are terrible. I can't in good conscience push blind kids to study CS, and I wish this weren't the case. This is why I have gone to graduate school.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
> cloud computing and data analytics interfaces that non-disabled people
> use.
> Even as a SWE, I find the Cloud command line interfaces a slow pain in
> the ass to use.  And the ones for data analytics are even worse.
> I do not know when I will try to start my non-profit.  Right now, I am
> just winding down from an 8 year phd and 5 year sprint in the top tech
> companies.  I am trying to relax and not give myself a stroke.
>

>> On 9/3/22, tyler Littlefield via NFBCS <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>> I fully support the idea you're raising here. In mental health circles,
>> this is called spoon theory. You start with x number of spoons and each
>> issue you deal with through the day takes one away. as a blind person,
>> your spoons seem to vanish at a rather alarming rate on normal days.
>>

>> I'd be for making a resource that helps. The last time I suggested
>> writing articles and offered to throw money in in an NFB call I was
>> chastised for proposing solutions and the idea died. If there are plenty
>> of like-minded people who want that kind of platform, we should do
>> something; it doesn't have to be tied to NFBCS.
>>

>> I am in full agreement that a central resource could be useful. I'm
>> thinking something like a wiki though, and not the pay-for-tutorial
>> service Peter is pushing here.
>>

>> Not everyone has the money, and if the goal is to help people be
>> employed by providing tips and tricks to issues, charging people already
>> struggling feels like you're kicking them when they're already down.
>>

>>> On 9/3/2022 7:31 AM, Tracy Carcione via NFBCS wrote:
>>> Hi Curtis.
>>> I agree, and I've done the same, as I'm sure we all have.
>>> One improvement now is that, last time I got training a couple years ago,
>>> was able to ask for the training material in an accessible format, like
>>> Word,  before the training started, so I was able to study it and work
>>> along
>>> with the class, instead of catching up later.
>>>
>>> But I firmly believe that it shouldn't take a huge effort for a blind
>>> person
>>> to figure out how to make things accessible.  They shouldn't have to
>>> reinvent the wheel.  They should at least be able to Google and find out
>>> if
>>> someone else has already figured out a solution.
>>> I've found this list to be an invaluable resource for solving some
>>> accessibility issues, and I've seen us discuss in-depth how to access
>>> software I don't know about.  I think it would be great if someone who
>>> does
>>> need to know could find the discussion, even if they're not part of the
>>> listserve.
>>> I suspect that struggling with accessibility, trying to find the answers
>>> you
>>> need, is part of why the unemployment rate is so high for blind people.
>>> People just get worn out by the struggle.

>>> for which I was working (this would have been back in the early 1990's),