[NFBCS] Accessible Development Databases

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Thu Aug 10 21:31:21 UTC 2023

	Hello Kaden.  What you're describing is a commonly done operation, but there are a lot of
details that go into such operations.  Since I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly, here
are some quick notes.

1.  there are basically three database engines in wide spread use today: Mysql, Postgresql and
Oracle.  (There are others, but those are the big three).  All of those are what's known as
relational database management systems.  All of them are able to take connections from the
Network and store data according to the parameters set forth by the database administrator.  By
themselves, however, they do not provide a web interface you can use with your browser to put
data into them.  Instead, there are web applications which give you access to the guts of the
database engine.  One that I'm aware of is called Phpmyadmin.  This runs on a web server as a
web application and it, in turn, talks to one of the database engines I mentioned earlier. It
gives you access to the SQL interface of the database engine, so you can create tables, define
constraints and populate those tables with data.

2.  Most web applications today talk to some database to store their data and to give users
access to reports, updates and notifications.

3.  All of the software I've mentioned by name is accessible with screen readers, but all of it
is tailored for software developers.  If you have a specific use case in mind, I suggest
posting that here so we can tell you which application might be the best for you to look at.

-thanks
-Brian