[NFBCS] When should I become concerned about my computers processor temperature?

Paul York paul at yorkfamily.com
Tue Aug 15 21:55:21 UTC 2023

150F is hot for an "idle" CPU. But any modern CPU is not going to let you
burn it up. It'll slow down if it gets too hot (called "thermal
throttling") , but that won't happen until it gets to 200F or so.

The culprit is doubtless some process that is running in the background
consuming both CPU and RAM. This will cause both the heat AND the sudden
loss of battery life. If you are able to run Activity Monitor (not sure how
accessible it is), you can sort by either CPU usage or Memory (RAM) usage
(different "tabs" at the top of the interface). This will at least reveal
which process or processes are likely causing your issue.

Usually fully shutting down and restarting the computer  will fix this kind
of problem for a while. Not just closing the lid or hitting the power
button, as this just puts it to sleep. If it keeps happening, then it's
likely there's just a newly installed or updated program that is causing
the problem. Uninstalling the program or (worst case) doing a "clean
install" of the operating system will almost always fix it. (
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904)

A new computer is usually not required, especially if your MacBook is only
3 years old. It's certainly not going to hurt, but these issues are usually
software related and can be fixed with a "fresh start" install of the
operating system.