[NFBCS] Inaccessible Litmos/Storyline 360 trainings

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Mon Aug 21 22:41:25 UTC 2023

Mike,

While following Jim's advice is one path to follow and a good one at that, I have had mixed results doing that because of employee turn-over.  I have found that often courses that seem to be not accessible often simply don't have obvious documentation as to what you should do.  I don't know if I have taken courses from the same platform or not but here are some things I have found over the years.

First, if these are web-based courses, occasionally you may find they work better on an IOS device.  Of course, you would have to have a connection to the network where the course resides which is not always possible.

Second, some of these courses work best with the virtual cursor turned off in JAWS using JAWSKEY and Z.  With NVDA, experiment with the NVDA key and SPACEE.  I don't remember NVDA's terminology, but when you hear a beep you are usually in the mode where you can type into fields, for example, and this may also make it possible to navigate the application.

Sometimes the descriptions tied to buttons and graphics can give a hint as to what it does.  Most of my courses do seem to have "previous" and "NEXT" buttons, but I've had courses with the "right pointing triangle" instead.  What you do with the buttons varies.  Some of these buttons do not activate with the SPACE bar, for example but require ENTER.

I've also had courses where the next slide can be accessed using the PGDN key, but of course the use of a virtual cursor must be off.  Even the DOWN ARROW has moved me to the next slide in some cases.  When these keys have worked, I've never found any documentation that indicates these as alternatives.

I have also seen a tree of all of the slides where a press of the DOWN ARROW will move you to the next slide.

Since I find it takes me longer to finish many courses because of my need to understand and out-guess the interface, I seldom pass up a chance to fill out a feedback form.  During my twenty-five years of taking online courses at work, I have never gotten a single response, though, but I would urge you to do it anyway.  Just don't spend a lot of time explaining all of the details of your frustration.  In a feedback form, push the idea that you would like to talk to somebody to see if there might be information that would make it easier to take courses in the future.  Unfortunately, I've tried that without success as well.

This subject really frustrates me because there is no practical reason these courses have to be so hard to navigate.  I think I reached the height of my frustration when a course on diversity required me to identify the characteristics of a picture to get past a certain point in the course.  Ironically, in almost all cases, courses I take have reasonably accessible quizzes, or "knowledge assessments" as they call them.  They are glad to test me, just not to teach me anything.  Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson