[NFBCS] Opinion On AccessiBe's apology

Sabra Ewing sabra1023 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 03:13:44 UTC 2023

I used the excessibe accessibility scanner to see what it said about the Nfb website a long time ago.

It gave them less than 75% compliance in most areas. It would show snippets of HTML and try to get you to pay for the entire report. It said menus were not labeled correctly for assistive technology. From what I could see, every time someone used a class, they were calling at a menu, when really it was a group of links where they might have used a class to make them have the same appearance.

It said the website doesn't follow appropriate contrast ratios for people with usable vision. I can't tell that myself, but I'm pretty sure it does.

I haven't tried in a long time, but the last time I did, they did something to their website and the scanner through an error, saying you should allow Webcrawler's access to your website for the scan to be successful.

Great. So even you acknowledge that your system is a Web crawler.

Maybe it's improved now, and I'll probably check after sending this, but the excessibe website used not to be accessible. The markup was terrible, and I had to go on Google to get the correct page because I couldn't navigate from page to page on the website. And, of course, they implemented their own overlay to make it even worse. They posted inaccessible photos and videos to social media.

I, and a few others, repeatedly commented on their advertisements to educate the business owners or decision-makers they were targeting about what was really going on. They never answered my questions.

They eventually blocked me from commenting on their advertisements. I am a blind person who has a problem with how your overlay interacts with websites and the accessibility of your website and social media posts, and you decide to block me from commenting. That shows the company you are.

Sabra Ewing