[NFBCS] opening a PDF document in Windows using a browser like Edge rather than Adobe Acrobat

John Miller johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 17:59:46 UTC 2024

Hello,
I had some challenges reviewing my e-mailed hotel confirmation for attending the NFB convention this July at the Rosen Center Hotel.
I called the phone number, placed the reservation on my credit card, and wrote down the room confirmation number.
This has been my practice from prior years.
Thinking about how terrible it would be if the reservation was made for the wrong month or something I went to review the e-mailed confirmation.
First it went to my junk e-mail but I easily grabbed the e-mail from there.
In past years confirmations would have the information in the body of the e-mail but this one came as an attached PDF with the name of the PDF the reservation number.
On my Windows computer I opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat. This was not very satisfying.  The application just said blank when I asked for it to read the document.
Next I navigated to the attached document with my iPhone.
The PDF opened easily and I reviewed a 2 row several column table.
This seems to be a more and more common way to relay vital travel information.
The header for each column was the date and on row 2 was the dollar value for the reserved stay on that night.

I asked a blind colleague how to get a good experience examining a PDF document such as this room reservation using Windows.
My colleague told me to open the PDF with any browser such as edge.
For example, save the attachment to the downloads folder, navigate to the downloads folder, tap the applications key, arrow down to open with and select edge.
In Edge all the information was there and easy for me to review.
I look forward to quickly reviewing future documents in a browser such as Edge.
I just dodged the confusion for blind people caused by Adobe Acrobat once more.
I also look forward to helping Adobe Acrobat increase its accessibility.
Very best,
John