[NFBCS] Blast from the past

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Mon Feb 26 19:28:33 UTC 2024

This message is purely anecdotal and contains the following small tales:
* My first synthetic speech misunderstandings.
* The Flipper misunderstanding that rattled an office.
* My ambitions and attempts in the Apple days.

My first synthetic speech misunderstanding:

I typed "catalog" to get a disk listing. TexTalker said, "A002 HELLO." I seem to recall going, "A C O C What??"

Shortly after that, I ran the program called "SEC DEMO" from the TexTalker disk. Part of this program
allowed one to type phrases, press Enter, and hear them spoken. This part was introduced by the synth
saying, "Now type in what you want me to say or type 'end' to end this demo." I did not understand the
prompt correctly, partly because it said "demo" like "demote" without the t sound at the end. So my little
15-year-old self tried to end the program by typing, "list hello." This got taped because I was recording
the actual demo; but sadly the tape did not survive this long.

The Flipper misunderstanding that rattled an office:

In 1990 while I was teaching a blind woman to use Flipper and the Audapter synth, a woman whom I should
mention was losing her sight and had never used a speech synth to date, the Audapter powered up and made its
typical initial announcement:

Audapter speech system.
Voice menu.

At, "voice menu," the woman exclaimed loudly, "We smell you?!" This yelp of astonishment brought several
neighboring roomfulls of office staff sailing in to find out what the heck was going on.

My ambitions and attempts in the Apple days:

My first big move was to send the entire Monitor disassembly listing of textalker.blind through a friend's
Cranmer modified Perkins brailler. That used roughly 60 sheets of paper and quite a chunk of time. I then
successfully rewrote the start of that program to shrink a repetitive block of slot-scanning code into a
loop, which made enough room for me to add the feature of letting the review command, Ctrl+L, freeze the
reading of a long text file, such as in the "read textfile" program, let me read the screen, then exit
review mode and have the reading pick up where it left off. There was one bug I never fixed though: Exactly
one character was always lost between entry and exit of review mode.

When a friend acquired the Thunderclock Plus card, my first exposure to asynchronous events, I became quite
excited by several ideas of what could be done with such a resource. By now I don't remember most of those,
but I believe one was the idea of having TexTalker either fix its own loss of control on Reset or watch for
user requests asynchronously. I read some code that used the card and spoke some plans into a tape that I
braille-labeled "tb-tcp/lr," which stood for "textalker.blind ThunderClock Plus and line review," if I
remember right. That tape vanished on a friend's visit years later along with a few others, including my
recordings of the two AT&T synths I mentioned in a previous message in this thread.

My most ambitious project though was what I called BRLHGR, an Assembly program to copy a high-resolution
Apple graphics screen to a braille printer. I chose a ratio of 3x3 pixels to one braille dot, and I decided
that any single pixel that was drawn in the non-background color would cause the corresponding braille dot
to appear. I wrote this program by dictating it onto tapes while on family trips and such, then typing it
into an actual assembler on a friend's Apple; I never had an Apple of my own. I never got it debugged and
running though, and I suspect the results would have severely disappointed me in quality. I was probably 16
when all that happened.