[NFBCS] FW: relevant NFB research

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Mon Jul 1 21:00:07 UTC 2024

From: nicholas.giudice at maine.edu <nicholas.giudice at maine.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 1, 2024 10:24 AM
To: 'Louis Maher' <ljmaher03 at outlook.com>; johnmillerphd at hotmail.com
Subject: relevant NFB research

Hello Louis and John,
My name is Nicholas Giudice, a blind professor in spatial computing at the University of Maine. I received the notice about the annual Science and engineering division meeting at NFB this year.
This group is well aligned with my interests as a blind scientist working in the field of information access technology for data science and graphical access. I would like to become a member and attend the  meeting as you have an excellent sounding agenda (and I know some of the presenters).
I am also hoping that you might share an announcement of relevant research we are conducting on Wed and Thurs at the convention on accessible data graphics. Getting input from blind folks is critical for making tech that works (input that is all too often ignored in design) and we usually run studies at NFB. However, there is some change in organization for communications this year and the ad that was agreed to be sent out to all NFB participants (see below) was not sent. Thus, we are looking for participants for paid studies we are running and your group seems like people who would both be interested and provide us with valuable feedback. I provide the ad below my name and I was hoping that you could pass it along to your group list and share with any others who may be interested. There is an email in the ad below to use for more info or to sign up.
Thanks much in advance,
Nick

Research blurb:

Participate in paid research on accessible graphics
We are a group of researchers from the University of Nevada Las Vegas, Saint Louis University, the University of Maine, and the University of Alabama in Huntsville. As part of an NSF-funded project, we are exploring how to convey graphics (such as charts and graphs) on touchscreens using vibrations and sounds for individuals with low vision or blindness. User input is critical in designing new technology interfaces, and we need your feedback!
We are bringing two studies to the NFB 2024 National Convention. Individuals can select to participate in one or both studies.
In these studies, we will learn how individuals interact with and understand data presented in different nonvisual formats, including graphics conveyed by verbal descriptions, using a touchscreen-based interface, and using traditional paper-based graphics in tactile form. As a participant, you will explore charts on a touchscreen and answer questions about them.
Any adult (18 years or older) individual with low vision or blindness present at the 2024 NFB Convention may participate. Individuals must have sensation in their fingers, mobility of their dominant hand and arm, and have a functional level of hearing to participate. We expect each study to take around 60 minutes. Individuals will each be compensated for their time with a $50 Amazon gift card per study they participate in.
We will have time slots available on July 3th and July 4th. To learn more or to enter either study, please e-mail the research team (touchscreenstudies at gmail.com<mailto:touchscreenstudies at gmail.com>) with preferred days and times for study participation. Please indicate in your email that you are an NFB Annual Convention attendee and if you would like to participate in one or both studies.

Nicholas A. Giudice3, Ph.D., Founder & Chief Research Scientist: VEMI Lab<http://www.vemilab.org/>
Professor of Spatial Computing: School of Computing and Information Science<https://umaine.edu/scis/>
University of Maine, 348 Boardman Hall, Orono, ME 04469-5711
Co-founder & Chief Research Officer,  Unar Labs<http://www.unarlabs.com/>, LLC.
nicholas.giudice at maine.edu<mailto:nicholas.giudice at maine.edu>, 207-581-2151, About Me<https://umaine.edu/vemi/facultystudents/dr-nicholas-giudice/about-me-nick/>