[NFBCS] O.T.: Permanently Disable Artificial Intelligence Process on Windows 10

Brian Shell shellbr at runbox.com
Sun Jun 2 22:36:19 UTC 2024

This registry modification worked about a year ago, but I just tried it and the ai.exe process still runs when I open Office.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
Create a subkey here called: WindowsCopilot
Within the new key, create a DWORD 32 value: TurnOffWindowsCopilot
Data: 1

Another way might be create a script to check if the ai.exe file exists, and if true, delete it.  Then create a scheduled task to trigger on every startup and attached a script to the action.  Also set the task to run as user "SYSTEM".  You might also take a backup of the .exe first since I'm not sure what would happen if you delete it.  The consensus from the internet is that it makes the issue go away until the next Office updates install.  Most patches require a restart anyway, so I figure a scheduled task would work.