[NFBCS] BARD Interface

dan.tevelde at comcast.net dan.tevelde at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 17:33:28 UTC 2024

Recently NLS changed their website to provide additional search options.
Most of the changes are improvements to the old version of the site. I am
having issues adding books to my wish list. I am using JAWS, Firefox, and
Windows 11. I want to either add books from my reading history, or recently
added books. I go through the correct steps for each option and JAWS speaks
the confirmation that a book was added. If I look at my wish list in reverse
chronological order, the book isn't listed. I am experiencing the same
problem if I use BARD Express on my computer or the iOS app.

I don't understand why there seems to be a lack of quality control at NLS.
The new version of the BARD website is slow even though it displays less
information when pages load. I like the expandable menus, but you would
think displaying less information would make a page load more quickly in a
browser window. I also see a persistent error message on the previous
history page even when interacting with the page is successful. I report
issues to NLS and the standard response I get is that the person responding
to my e-mail notified the BARD supervisor. I don't get any follow-up from
NLS. I don't understand what is happening. All their interfaces seem
inconsistent. Among other things, BARD Express doesn't always generate
message when a use takes an action. You would think that if you added a book
to your wish list, the application would consistently display and cause the
screenreader to speak a confirmation or error message.

Thanks,

Dan