[NFBCS] [program-l] Blog: Future of Browser and Screen Reader Interaction

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 17:55:29 UTC 2024

I strongly disagree with the guy. Virtual buffers offer much more
flexibility on the screenreader side. Without virtual buffers
screenreaders would only be able to retrieve limited kind of information
from the browsers, so likely existing functionality will have to be
dropped if browsers stop supporting virtual buffers. For example,
Add-ons like BrowserNav can only exist in a system with virtual buffers,
since they work with virtual buffers in a peculiar way: doing regexp
search, analyzing text attributes, etc. I think it is not likely that
without virtual buffers browser makers will for example implement regex
search into their API - think for example of Google Docs accessibility,
this is an example of a company deciding on thier own accessibility API
and deciding to go with the bare minimum. For example, Google Docs still
haven't implemented sentence navigation. I have been developing
NVDA-related add-ons on and off for more than 7 years now and in my
experience, the job of application makers is to provide a generic and
flexible interface - like virtual buffers via IAccessible2, instead of
set of concrete features, because inevitably if they provide only
concrete features, that's not going to be enough for advanced use cases.
So TLDR, not sure who is this guy, but hope his vision of virtual buffer
free world turns out to be false.