[NFBCS] Outlook Issues and Reinstalling Windows 10

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Fri Sep 20 19:15:05 UTC 2024

Joe,

I really don't have a lot of confidence that resetting your operating system will help.  If you don't think it is a contact, creating a new profile for your Gmail account might be worth trying as Curtis suggested.  Since it isn't working right anyway, even editing your existing profile might be worth trying.  If you have a single profile with multiple accounts, that does make it harder to troubleshoot.

As you probably know, Gmail requires OAUTH2 as an authentication protocol now.  Once in a while, Google requires that you refresh a connection by seeming to pop up the Gmail page requesting that you enter a password.  If you think you just started the page by accident, something I did once, and you close the page, the authentication fails.  I have found the OAUTH2 process to be tricky to set up because for me the experience has not been consistent at all.  I have also had the experience where Outlook does not seem to handle OAUTH2 if it looks for the Gmail configuration parameters automatically.  I have had to set accounts up manually sometimes.  However, it has been a while since I had to do that so Microsoft may have corrected those problems.  Still, I think your profile and the authentication process might be what is causing the issue, and it could vary from one laptop to the other.  For whatever it is worth, I don't think Windows 10 is the issue.

I am surprised that the Answer desk couldn't figure this out.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson