[Nfbf-l] Social Security

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 02:42:12 UTC 2008

Hello John,
Like you, I have not heard of any legal action etc. against the SSA because
of their non-use of accessible materials for blind beneficiaries. Well
apparently, the ACB has filed a class action lawsuit against the SSA for
their failure to provide communications etc. from the SSA to blind
beneficiaries. The suit claims the rehabilitation act  passed in the early
70's, I think, is the law being violated.

To find more about the lawsuit, You have to really dig on the internet via a
Google search to find it, but here is a link that describes this class
action lawsuit:
http://www.ssa.gov/pgm/classaction.htm

Personally speaking, it would be nice to receive communications from the SSA
in electronic format, but I'm not going to go out and sue them over it. I
have no problem using my scanner and OCR software to scan and then read any
documents I receive from the SSA. SSA is in enough financial uncertainty
without forcing them to now retain legal counsel to fend off another
lawsuit. I'm sure they have lawyers on staff for suits like this, but I
would like to think that money spent on this lawsuit might be better spent
elsewhere. This is just my opinion, however.

Dave