[Nfbf-l] Election Day tomorrow

Judith Hamilton jrhamilton51 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 20:59:52 UTC 2008

Bill,

Thank you for providing this information.  I also voted early and was not
as diligent as I should have been.  I happened to be out with a volunteer
driver and asked them if I could stop at the local library to early vote.
Unfortunately, I did not have my sample ballot with me and in addition I
did not realize that Alachua County had several ballots for this election;
not only state district reps., but I believe specific questions related to
particular precinct areas.  The county purchased DeBold audio ballot
machines to have one at each precinct location on election day and one at
each of the 3 early voting sites.  Everyone else does the optical scan
system, or chooses absentee ballot so that they have a paper ballot record.
I requested to use the audio ballot and I thought that the poll worker
programmed the card for my precinct number.  I voted, but did not review
the ballot as carefully as I should have.  When I returned home later in
the evening and reviewed my sample ballot, I realized I had not heard one
of the races on my ballot.  I do not know if I inadvertently skipped it, or
the worker programmed the wrong ballot, or it was left off that audio
ballot.  I called the elections office the next day to inquire about it,
but have not received a response.  If there was something wrong with the
audio ballot system, I did not want anyone else to run into a problem.  In
any event, use this experience as a lesson to know the information on your
voter registration card; review your ballot before casting it; if something
does not feel right to you, ask the poll worker.  I have learned from my
mistake.
Judy