[Nfbf-l] Fw: Time to call your Florida HouseRepresentative!Another Service for the Blind may be going bythe Wayside.

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 18:05:51 UTC 2009

Jodi,
    I agree that RRS has had its place; however, I think its worth has run
its course. though RRS does provide the local newspaper, using RRS requires
the listener to tune in at a particular time and place. The subcarrier
receivers are not portable and the information provided is not interactive.
Furthermore, the limitations of time require the readers to choose which
news will be offered and which shall not! Additionally, if what is being
read is not of interest to the listener, it cannot be skipped. Not to
mention that it cannot be reviewed, stopped, spelled, etc. So, how do you
spell the name of that former embattled governor in Illinois? RRS doesn't
allow you to find out, but Newsline does!
    As for elderly people not being savvy enough to use Newsline or being
intimidated by it, this has not been my exsperience. I have demonstrated
Newsline to hundreds of seniors and walked them through the prompts,
teaching them how to use it. When they find out how easy it really is, they
are excited! And to have the ability to read more than 275 newspapers from
around the country; now, how can RRS compare with that?
    Well, let's see! What's on the tube tonight? Can I tune into RRS right
now and find out? Nope! I missed that broadcast this morning! I guess I'll
call Newsline! (smile)

Marion Gwizdala-Schoch