[Nfbf-l] FW: Special Birthday Celebration

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Jan 2 20:27:45 UTC 2009

Hello to all,

As I've mentioned before, I will be doing an interactive Louis Braille
celebration at my church this Sunday.  We will be having a Louis Braille
birthday cake, using M & M's for Braille dots to say Happy Birthday Louis
Braille.  The book View from Under the Pew, very appropriate for use with
children in a Sunday school setting, is from National Braille Press.  I plan
to donate it to their Sunday school resource center.  We're using sequins
which glue quickly for the kids to spell out the name of our church in
"Braille".  It will be the craft they take home, along, of course, with an
NFB alphabet card which I will Braille their name on.  I found an excellent
biography of Louis on the American Foundation for the Blind's kids' website
www.afb.org/braillebug/louis_braille_bio.asp
Of course I'll let them know about our braille.org website and coin.  I'll
be reading at one of the services as well.  I wanted to share the following
email which was sent out to our church members.  I wrote the information
they've been using in their newsletter and in this email.  i've been so
please with the enthusiastic reception for our Louis Braille birthday party!
I hope this info will help others in planning events, whether at church or
other group setting.  Please read on.
Sherrill O'Brien