[Nfbf-l] National Day of Service

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 12:06:52 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    I was asked by the national office to organize and coordinate an event on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind as part of the National Day of service. This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate in a very real way that the blind are capable of participating in every aspect of society, including volunteerism, on terms of full equality. It is also a way to make a real difference in the lives of others.
    Pasted below and attached to this message is a news release I am circulating. Within the release is the website set up by the Presidential Inauguration Committee to promote the National Day of Service. This website is very interactive and allows you to post your event and take advantage of this nationwide resource. I have had several inquiries about the event we are organizing in Tampa from this site.
    Please feel free to use the attached release, editing it to promote your event, including replacing my name in the quotation or writing your own. I have also attached an email mesage i am circulating through my network that you can also edit for your own purposes.
    Let's all get out and volunteer on the National Day of Service to make our world a better place. Together we are changing what it means to be blind!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FROM: National Federation of the Blind

DATE: January 12, 2009

TO: All Media

CONTACT: Marion Gwizdala, President

                     East Hillsborough Chapter

                     National Federation of the Blind

                     (813) 626-2789

RE: Blind to Participate in National Day of Service

            President-elect Barak Obama has proclaimed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, January 19, 2009 as a National Day of Service. The goal is for MLK Day to reignite the American tradition of service and volunteerism across the nation. The National Federation of the Blind is coordinating several events around the country to observe the national day of Service.

            "We want to take this opportunity to demonstrate that the blind are capable of participating in every aspect of society," says Marion Gwizdala, the President of the East Hillsborough Chapter of the NFB.

            Many view the blind as the beneficiaries of charitable work, but the Federation wants to change the public's perception of blindness. By reaching out to be of service to the community, they show that the blind, like their sighted neighbors, can make a positive impact on the lives of others.

            The National Federation of the Blind will conduct a clothing and personal hygiene products collection for the benefit of New Life Unity Church's homeless outreach program. Items of warm, new or gently used clothing and personal hygiene products, such as soap, hand sanitizer, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, razors, shaving cream, combs, and feminine products, as well as blind and sighted Volunteers to help collect and organize donations are greatly appreciated. This project will be held at New Life Unity Church, located at 13540 N. Florida Avenue, just north of Fletcher Avenue in Woodfield Square, between the hours of 9:00 am and 2:00 pm.

For more information about the National Day of Service, you may go to

http://www.usaservice.org

            For more information about the national Federation of the blind's participation in the National Day of Service, please contact

Marion Gwizdala, President

East Hillsborough Chapter

National Federation of the Blind

813-626-2789

800-558-8261

president at blind411.org

# # #

If you come..

WHAT: National Day of Service

EVENT: Clothing & Personal Hygiene Products Collection

WHEN: January 19, 2009 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Day & National Day of Service

WHERE: New Life Unity Church

                13540 N. Florida Avenue

                Suite 104

                Tampa, FL 33613

                (Just north of the intersection of N. Florida & Fletcher Avenues)

TIME: 9:00 am until 2:00 pm

For more information, contact

Marion Gwizdala

president at blind411.org