[Nfbf-l] FW: Hiring Goals for Persons with Targeted Disabilities

elizabeth McNally bethmac at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 2 02:03:14 UTC 2009

Hiring Goals for Persons with Targeted Disabilities

Dear Colleagues:

What a wonderful opportunity this is to be in touch with you again,
especially after more than two months.  The primary reason surrounding this
time gap in communications stems from our having to work on issues relating
to our software, which is still in need of upgrading to the new operating
system.  But, in light of very recent developments within the past 24 hours
or so, I simply had to find a way to get the word out quickly, even before
system improvements are implemented and finalized.  Having just returned
from travel late last night, my goal today has been to get in touch with you
as quickly as possible.

Getting right to the heart of today's e-mail, I am extremely pleased to
share information with you that is late-breaking.  Our Attorney General,
Eric Holder, head of the U.S. Department of Justice, has just issued a
Department-wide call to hire and promote persons with targeted disabilities
(i.e., those with physical, psychiatric, and intellectual disabilities) to
be hired to fill positions for which they qualify within the various
Department components.  As such, within my capacity as Member of the
Attorney General's Committee on Employment of Persons with Disabilities, I
immediately wanted to share with you the original Portable Document File
format copy of a Department memorandum, dated May 27, 2009 (text also pasted
below).  I strongly advise you to print and retain this memo for your
records and to share this important document with everyone in your
respective networks who wishes to seek employment in our Department.
Job-seekers may include a copy of this memo in their applications as a
reminder to hiring authorities of the call to action issued by the Attorney
General.

Supplementing this PDF, I am also taking the liberty of re-sending to the
network an article on employment of individuals with disabilities, which was
last revised in late 2007.  Of specific note, job-seekers may wish to
utilize "Schedule A" Hiring Authority, which allows individuals with
targeted disabilities to be hired non-competitively into all levels of
leadership (with the position later ideally to be converted from
probationary status to permanent employment).  The article describes this
further.  Also contained in the piece are dozens of national resources that
may assist with efforts to attain gainful employment.

I can tell you from my personal perspective that working in this Department
has been an amazing and fulfilling experience in more ways than one.  I
would like nothing more than for all individuals with disabilities, who have
an interest in joining our ranks, to make application to available positions
for which they qualify  To make this more of a concerted effort, I am taking
the liberty of sending a CC of this e-mail to Fred Parmenter, an attorney
with the Antitrust Division, who is also the founder and chair of the
Attorney General's Committee on which I sit.  (This Committee first came
into being under Attorney General Reno during the years of the Clinton
Administration.)  He may provide you with additional insight and guidance.

Even if you yourself may not be interested in serving with us here at the
Justice Department, I respectfully urge you to forward this information far
and wide because of the direct difference that may be made in someone's life
as a result.  President Obama has expressed a commitment to advancing
employment opportunities for persons with disabilities, and our Attorney
General has now followed the President's lead by communicating to all
component heads his commitment to advance Management Directive 715, issued
by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which affirmatively
encourages the recruitment, hiring, retention, and promotion of persons with
disabilities (among others).  Help us fulfill the goal of greater employment
of individuals with disabilities by ensuring that every community member
that you know ends up receiving this e-mail, and urge them to spread the
word still further.  Encourage posting of this information on websites, on
social networks, on newsgroups, and in online and offline organization and
agency publications.  Help us achieve the goal of our having 2% of our
workforce of more than 100,000 consist of people with disabilities.  Take
action immediately so that, together, we may contribute to the lives of
persons with disabilities being changed for the better while infusing this
Department with the richness of talents, abilities, and skills that will
effectively contribute to the Department's mission being fulfilled in every
way.

Thank you very much, and here's to everyone's success!

Sincerely,

Olegario D. Cantos VII, Esq.

Member

Attorney General's Committee on Employment of Persons with Disabilities

OFFICE OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL

Washington, DC   20530

May 27, 2009

MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF DEPARTMENT COMPONENTS

FROM:  THE ATTORNEY GENERAL <Initialed>

SUBJECT: Hiring Goals for Persons with Targeted Disabilities

President Barack Obama has a comprehensive agenda to empower individuals
with disabilities and enhance access to employment for all Americans. As
Attorney General, I am committed to making the Department of Justice (DOJ) a
model employer with a diverse workforce that includes people with
disabilities.

The Department, like other Federal agencies, must comply with the Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission's Management Directive 715, which requires
hiring goals to increase employment and advancement of people with
disabilities. While I recognize that DOJ's workforce is comprised of many
law enforcement positions that have physical requirements, I ask that
managers, supervisors, and hiring officials assist me in working toward a
Department-wide two-percent hiring goal of people with disabilities. If
achieved, this goal will align DOJ with the most successful agencies in
employing individuals with severe disabilities.

The Justice Management Division's (JMD) Human Resources and Equal Employment
Opportunity Staffs are available to assist you and to provide information on
special hiring authorities and accommodations for people with disabilities.
These offices also will report quarterly to me on the Department's progress.
If you have any questions you may contact Rod Markham, Director, Human
Resources Staff, JMD or Vontell D. Frost-Tucker, Director, Equal Employment
Opportunity Staff, JMD.

President Obama has said, "We must build a world free of unnecessary
barriers, stereotypes, and discrimination. Policies must be developed,
attitudes must be shaped, and buildings and organizations must be designed
to ensure that everyone has a chance to get the education they need and live
independently as full citizens in their communities." I am asking the DOJ
leadership for its pledge to incorporate talented persons with disabilities
into the workplace.

________________________________

 This Disability Relations Group e-mail is sponsored in part by:

Caring & Sharing Center for Independent Living, Inc. - Empowering People
with Disabilities <HTTP://www.cascil.org/>

Caring and Sharing Center for Independent Living (CASCIL) is the
Congressionally mandated advocacy organization for people with disabilities.

It operates in Pinellas and Pasco counties Florida. With a mission of
Empowering people with disabilities it serves its consumers based on
principles of respect, choice and change. The core services of advocacy,
mentoring, training, transition, information and referral are only the
beginning of the path to empowerment. Come visit us on the web at
www.cascil.org. <http://www.cascil.org>

________________________________

Disability Relations Group <HTTP://www.drgglobal.com/>

Disability Relations Group

12552 Belcher Rd. S.

Largo, FL 33773

Voice:727-531-1000

Fax: 727-539-7588

We are on the Web!! Come visit us at:

www.drgglobal.com

 Disability Relations Group is a global disability relations image and
policy facilitation firm. Its clients range from small community nonprofits
to Fortune 500s all wishing to better their relations with the disabled and
elder communities. It works not only in the areas concerning general issues
related to disability and elder concerns, but also specializes in the areas
of accessible voting, technology and transportation.

Important Note

The above information is provided as a service and is not necessarily the
opinion of Disability Relations Group its management, members, sponsors or
clients. If you have questions, concerns or problems with this e-mail please
contact nicoler at drgglobal.com

If you would like to be removed from future mailings please send e-mail to
drg at drgglobal.com and type REMOVE in the subject line Please do not reply to
this e-mail as we are unable to respond to messages sent to this address  or
write us at 12552 Belcher Rd. S., Largo , Fl 33773.