[Nfbf-l] Stipend for Convention

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Thu Jun 18 02:23:53 UTC 2009

Dan & Board,
    I find it very interesting that, with only about two weeks left before convention, the board has made a decision to not support a Chapter's eforts to send members to convention. Though you mention that, as NAGDU President,  I could ask NAGDU or national for monies to attend convention, this is not an option for Tom Goldman or Merry Schoch.
    In adition, I also find it interesting that the Board has taken care of itself first by authorizing to give itself $900 per person well in advance enough to make arrangements while forcing Chapters to wait for word on your support. I think it is important for the membership to know that I have figured that one person can attend national convention, including air fare, hotel room, banquet, and registration for  about $830 and, if a room is shared between two people, for under $1100 or $550 per person! It is my understanding that, with the exception of three Board members who will be sharing rooms with their families, each of the other Board members will have another Board member as a room mate.
    I feel it is fiscally irresponsible and borders on a breach of trust for the Board to vote to pay itself such an amount while not supporting the Chapters' efforts to get their members to the convention, the supreme voice of the organized blind movement. The treasury belongs to the stakeholder members and it is my opinion that they should be concerned at the lack of transparency and accountability that is being exhibited by those we have elected to manage our affairs and entrusted with our treasury!

Marion Gwizdala, President
East Hillsborough Chapter
National Federation of the Blind