[Nfbf-l] NFBF President

craig kiser sckiser55 at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 02:17:04 UTC 2009

  As a followup to my earlier announcement that I am seeking
election as President of the NFBF, I wanted to provide a little
more information about my background and involvement in the
National Federation of the Blind.  Most of you know me, but may
not know the depth and nature of my work with the NFB.
  Following my attendance at the Iowa Commission for the Blind,
which was under the directorship of Kenneth Jernigan, I moved to
Tallahassee to attend college.  In 1972 I helped form the first
Chapter of the Nfb of Florida at Florida State University and
served as Vice President of the Chapter until my graduation in
1974 when I returned to Iowa to practice law.
  I was an active member of the Scott County Chapter of the NFB
of Iowa until I returned to Florida in 1977.
  I was elected State Treasurer of the NFBF on a slate with
Marilyn Womble.
  During the late 1980's and early 1990's I served as an attorney
for the NFB, handling several cases here in Florida .
  As Director of the Division of Blind Services I was the first
state agency for the blind in the Country to officially accept
and recognize the National Orientation and Mobility Certification
NOFC created by James Omvig and the NFB, working with Louisiana
Tech.  This gave mobility instructors the opportunity to train
using the Nfb travel techniques.
  I was the first state agency for the blind to utilize the
Jernigan Institute to train the division's staff at the
Orientation and Adjustment Center in Daytona Beach.
  I was asked to be a speaker at 3 NFB National Conventions,
including once in front of the general assembly.
  While I was Director of the Division of Blind Services we made
great strides towards making Florida a better place for the
blind.  I wann the opportunity to continue that work as your
President.