[Nfbf-l] Why Craig Kiser for President?

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sun May 17 19:51:14 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    Some have suggested that Craig Kiser is not the best person to lead this Affiliate! They irrationally maintain that he hasn't been a member long enough to be an effective leader! Even if it were true (I believe thirty-seven years is a long time), his education, professional experience, and accomplishments would certainly take up any slack!
    As an attorney, Craig has argued cases at every level of the courts, certainly someone we need on our side when we face discrimination! His fiscal responsibility definitely qualifies him to guide us in challenging economic times. As the Director of the Division of Blind Services, he not only managed several hundred professionals, he made the controversial decision to institute Federation philosophy and training at the Orientation & Adjustment center and was the most consumer-oriented leader of DBS our State has ever had! Someone we need on our side when consumers are not treated fairly!
    I once witnessed a consumer at Convention ask him about a problem she was having with getting services and he promised to take care of it as soon as he returned to his office. Within a few days of the conversation, the problem was resolved. Oh, did I mention that Craig is a mountain climber, too!
    Craig initiated a program to sponsor consumers' attendance at NFB conventions - a practice that has been stopped by the current administration - believing that a well informed consumer was essential for successful rehabilitation. It makes me scratch my head to hear someone assert that Craig Kiser is not the best person to lead this affiliate! Maybe it's because Craig is a progressive thinker; one who looks forward to a brighter future! One who doesn't long for the way things were, but looks forward at the way things can be? One who isn't satisfied at the way things are for the blind, but believes in the true potential of the blind! One who wants progress, not the status quo! One who is not content with mediocrity but strives for excellence! One who will support someone because of their potential and their accomplishments, not because of nepotism!
    If we really believe the blind are first-class citizens, let's elect a first-class President! Craig Kiser is a first-class person!

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala-Schoch, President
East Hillsborough Chapter
National Federation of the blind