[Nfbf-l] Candidates at the Presidents Breakfast?

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 03:35:12 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,

Your idea (see below) sounds good on its surface, however, it really world
not work in practice.

We are a non-profit organization, made up of volunteers, most of whom devote
a major portion of their waking hours to the organization.  We don't have
paid staffs. NFBF leaders are not figureheads, but workers. Anyone who might
be considered a viable candidate for president would already be serving a
handful of functions at the convention, and would simply not have time to
remain in the Exhibit Hall to answer questions from convention attendees.
However, being as any reasonably electable candidate for office would be
busy with convention business, he or she would be available to convention
attendees to discuss questions or any other issues which might come to mind.

Consider this, also. Any reasonably electable candidate would almost
certainly have a history and a track record within the affiliate. Anyone who
has been a member for awhile and who has had questions about how the
candidate feels about certain issues, probably knows those answers by now.
Newer members may not be so knowledgeable, but most people know enough to
talk to those they know and seek the information they need before making up
their minds. We were all "newbies' once and we all found ways to inform
ourselves sufficiently to be able to cast our all-important votes in past
elections.

Dan

"If you are going to walk on thin ice,
 you might as well dance."