[Nfbf-l] FW: BlindBargains.com Daily Deals for Friday, October 16

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Fri Oct 16 18:47:23 UTC 2009

Happy Friday everyone!

I subscribe to Blind Bargains, and today's version has some particularly
interesting items, including the link to a new article about choice of a
sort of ring tone for your car...now that's a frightening idea!!

Sherrill

BlindBargains.com Daily Deals for Friday, October 16

It's time to recap the latest deals and news posted to Blind Bargains. Feel
free to forward this message to your friends.

Got a suggestion, comment, or bargain request? Email
bargains at blindbargains.com.

In this issue:
Item 1
Deals for the Accessible iPod Touch on EBay
While we're in the business of adding new categories to the Auction Gateway,
we thought it may be useful to add one for accessible iPod Touches on EBay.
We do our best to list only models which can be made accessible using the
VoiceOver software. Check the link on this post to view the category and
score a deal.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4499
**
Item 2
Several Cheap Kurzweil Reading Edge Scanners on EBay starting at under $10
If you're looking for a nostalgic, but still functional piece of assistive
technology, we count no less than seven Kurzweil Reading Edge scanners on
EBay including one with a starting bid of $9.99 and other available at at
Buy It Now price of $39.95. Those prices would make anyone from the 1980's
salivate, and even now it still may be a worthwhile purchase either for a
history piece or a functioning scanner. We've added a new Auction Gateway
category for these scanners and linked to it from this post.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4498
**
Item 3
Those Hybrids May Start Making Noise After All
Pressured by political groups, consumer organizations, and Congress, many
car manufacturers are furthering research which will allow for hybrid
vehicles to emit a sound while traveling. Some are considering car-like
noises while others are pondering an approach where drivers can select their
own sounds, similar to ringtones for cell phones. Via The NY Times

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4496
**
Item 4
Opposing Freedom Scientific's signed Braille Driver Initiative Petition
Attention supporters of Braille literacy through electronic Braille and the
right for consumer choice.

  The above link will take you to a petition created
by the National Federation of the Blind in Computer Science and Open Braille
API Initiative.  This petition vehemently opposes the Secure and Compatible
Braille Display driver signing polacy recently announced by Freedom
Scientific.  Please follow the below link to read more and if in agreement,
show your support by adding your name and optional comments.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4495
**
Item 5
Try Amazon Prime for Free and get Free Two-Day Shipping, $3.99 Overnight
Shipping
At Blind Bargains, we're big fans of Amazon Prime, the website's membership
club offering free two-day shipping. First of all, there's no $25 minimum
order to get free shipping. We've ordered $3 packages of batteries, $10
CD's, and many other items without paying an additional cent for shipping.
Furthermore, Prime offers us an assurance of when items will arrive. With
two-day shipping for free, we know exactly when to expect the items we
order. Amazon will display the day the item will arrive on the product page
while logged in. If we need something faster, overnight shipping is
available for $3.99 per item. Combine this with Amazon's one-click ordering,
and the $79 annual membership becomes an indispensable tool. You can try it
free for a month using the link on this post. Also, split the cost with up
to four family members to save more money. In our opinion, once you go
Prime, there's no turning back.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4494
**
Item 6
Buy.com's Halloween Costume Clearence
As you may expect, lots of stores are offering deals on Halloween costumes.
Here's one such page of clearence costumes from Buy.com. Roughly 500 items
are listed including costumes for kids and adults. Items range from
Cinderella and Shrek costumes for the young ones to a pirate lady costume
for the adults.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4493
**
Item 7
Accessible Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 Hot-Beverage Center for $34.99 Shipped
We continue to look for appliances which are accessible, either by accident
or design.
Amazon.com has the Hamilton Beach 3-in-1 Hot-Beverage Center in Black for
$34.99. Plus, shipping is free. This machine makes single-serve coffee, tea,
hot chocolate, or hot water. With no buttons or controls, this machine is
quite usable by the blind and was successfully used by blind members of our
staff. Read on for a more detailed description.

http://www.blindbargains.com/bargains.php?m=4492
**
Item 8
Accessible Apple iPod shuffle 4GB for $75.00 Shipped
With all of the talk of the accessible iPod Nanos and Touches, it's easy to
forget about the little brother to all of them, the iPod Shuffle. These are
also accessible in a similar way to the Nano, speaking the current song when
queried.
Amazon.com has the 4GB version of the Shuffle in Blue for $75.00. Plus,
shipping is free. This is the latest, 4th generation version of the shuffle,
released in September 2009.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4491
**
Item 9
Dozens of Hand-made Braille Books, Puzzles, and Games on EBay
One of the biggest providers of blindness-related items on EBay is a seller
with the username bjornskov. For nearly a decade, they have produced
hundreds of hand-made braille books, games, toys, and puzzles. Most items
sell for under $10 plus shipping, and an ever-changing variety is available.
Follow the link on this post to view their current listings.

http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4487
**
Item 10
Most Popular Recent Deals

Here are the top five posts to Blind Bargains as of the time of this
newsletter.
Opposing Freedom Scientific's signed Braille Driver Initiative Petition
http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4495
Getting started with Google Wave
http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4490
Another Humanware Maestro Trekker for $400 on EBay
http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4486
Deals for the Accessible iPod Touch on EBay
http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4499
Information Leaked on Upcoming K-NFB Technology Ebook Reader, Partnership
http://www.blindbargains.com/redirect.php?redirect=4485

If you received this message from someone else and want to subscribe
yourself, visit
http://www.blindbargains.com/emaillist.php

We respect your privacy. To unsubscribe, use the link below. or Email
dailydeals-unsubscribe at blindbargains.com
Send by A T Guys, LLC, 514 Wheaton Ave, Kalamazoo, MI  49008.