[Nfbf-l] State School

Joanne jdking09 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 3 16:21:34 UTC 2011

I know first hand what a shambles the Daytona School became after it was
influenced by NFB's  theory of teaching independents to the blind.   If I were
in charge  I would first have every student believe in their dignity.  Then I
would teach them to believe  that they can achieve anything if they really want
to.  and the other important thing is to join society without thinking that they
need  special treatment.  You can't burn the candle at both ends.  And that is
what they had done at the center.  That's why the school is not on track.
The people that I have known before NFB's influence had a better chance of
learning all this.  After that forget it.
I personally grew up in public and private schools and learned my own
independents because I wanted to.  I agree that one can always pick out a blind
student who was educated at a school for the blind including one like Daytona.
They act like a child..
So whether it is NFB or ACB or anything else.  A blind person can be so called
Normal if treated like they are normal.
We are a very small percentage of society.  Therefore, it is us, who needs to
comply with the majority.
Please pass this on to the NFB and the ACB and any other Organizations who feel
that special privileges is the only way to go.  I guess what I am trying to say
is stop degrading us.