[Nfbf-l] behavior and cane use

lappland at bellsouth.net lappland at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 31 22:21:35 UTC 2011

Doreen,
Have some blind people who use a cane do a presentation at her school. The
sighted kids think the cane is really cool and want to try it out. Maybe
after seeing the positive attitudes of her peers will make her rethink her
opinion of it. It would be great if the other kids would show interest in
her cane so she would feel that her cane is an asset and not something that
makes her different.
also, i am not so sure that i would believe that she is purposely tripping
other children with her cane. I would have to witness it myself. It may be
that her teacher has a negative attitude about her using the cane and
blowing little incidents out of proportion. I hear  people who attended the
national conventions telling others how thousands of blind cane users
tripped and hit them  with their canes.
Also, 30 minutes a week of O&M is less than adequate. How much of that half
hour is spent  talking and how much is actual instruction? I didn't use my
cane for 4 years after I loss my sight but when I was ready I had good
skills ready to use.
We have a little boy in our Kids Club that has a very good attitude about
his cane and uses it everywhere he goes. It would be nice if your daughter
could attend one of our events and meet him.

Good luck!

Carolyn Lapp
Executive Director
Florida Outreach Center for the Blind