[Nfbf-l] behavior and cane use

Mark Tardif markspark at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 31 18:48:18 UTC 2011

Hello, Doreen,

Happy New Year to you too on this warm Saturday in Martin County.  Sherri
Brun and I are visiting and we bounced a few ideas off each other.  I think
first of all, your daughter needs to know first and foremost that tripping
someone with her cane, for whatever reasons, is most certainly not
acceptable, it is a form of bullying and she needs to know that she could
really hurt someone, and that will lead to all kinds of other problems.  I
personally also think that she needs to be understood, that this behavior
may very well be sending a message, and she needs to know that it is okay
for her to express her feelings about the cane directly and verbally to you,
not in this potentially dangerous way.  I also think it is very normal,
whatever that means, to not want to use the cane if you have a fair amount
of usable vision.  We talked about possibly providing a reward system, maybe
if she uses it correctly and without tripping anyone for a certain number of
days, she might get some sort of reward that she would like.  It might also
be appropriate to have her come to one of our meetings with you and feel
free to ask us questions about how we do things, our attitudes about
blindness, etc.  She may not be ready for that, but I think giving her that
option as in invite, no pressure involved, especially since we meet and have
dinner, well perhaps that might provide an opening.  Between you and me, I
really wish she were getting more than 30 minutes of O&M per week, I just
don't think that's enough.  Anyway, I hope some of that helps and I would
invite both of you to come to our January meeting, Friday, January 13 at
5:00 at the Southern Pig and Cattle restaurant, a rather nice barbecue on
Federal Highway, where Perkins used to be.

Mark Tardif
Welcome to my planet