[Nfbf-l] please help with these bills

Sherrill O'Brien sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Tue Mar 6 23:38:27 UTC 2012

	Hello all,

I'm writing to you on behalf of our Florida Association of Guide Dog Users
division to ask that you help us to make a change in two important bills,
HB1077 (kriseman) and SB1382 (Bennett). These bills deal with giving puppy
raisers/trainers rights to housing , and we are in favor of this. But our
main concern is for those who are the users of service animals.
These proposed bills would change the definition of a service animal to the
following wording: "any domesticated animal". This is the part to which we
are opposed. This definition would open the door to abuse by those claiming
their cat, pig, etc. is a service animal. In the past year, The Department
of Justice narrowed the definition of a service animal to dogs and miniature
horses because of this very problem. We certainly do not want Florida to
take a step backward. The DOJ's definition of a service animal is attached.
The part dealing with miniature horses is under letter i of the document. Be
sure to mention the recent DOJ ruling when you make your calls.

Please contact your senators and representatives ASAP and tell them you are
opposed to the definition of service animals contained in HB1077 and SB1382
because this broader definition would cause much abuse of our access rights,
and is in conflict with the Department of Justice's recent ruling.

If you need the contact information for your local representative or
senator, you can call toll free at 1 (800) 342-1827, and simply give your
zip code. Make sure you ask for and use their Tallahassee office numbers
since the Legislature is in session. If there's no answer when you call an
office, don't hesitate to leave a brief message, telling them the bills you
are referencing and the reason you're opposed to them.

Thank you for your help with this important legislation.

Sherrill O'Brien, President
aFlorida Association of Guide Dog Users