[Nfbf-l] National Federation of the Blind Collaborates with AccuWeather®

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:43:35 UTC 2012

Just sharing! If you are interested in signing up for Newsline® just e-mail
me with your name, address, home and cell numbers and I will be happy to
sign you up.

Sherri
flmom2006 at gmail.com
National Federation of the Blind Collaborates with
AccuWeather® to Provide
Emergency Weather Alert Information
to the Blind and Print-Disabled via NFB-NEWSLINE®
Baltimore, Maryland (August 29, 2012): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide organization of the blind in the
United States, and its newspaper service for the blind, NFB-NEWSLINE®, today
announced a collaboration with AccuWeather®, an online weather information
service, to provide emergency weather alerts to blind and print-disabled
subscribers throughout America.  NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free audible information
access service that provides over three-hundred newspapers and magazines to
the blind.  The AccuWeather® information service will be offered on
NFB-NEWSLINE®, giving blind and print-disabled people instant access to
emergency weather alerts.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
said: "The lack of access to emergency weather alerts has been a persistent
problem for the blind, and now with the combination of AccuWeather® alerts
and NFB-NEWSLINE®, an innovative source of this critical information has
been created for the blind of America.  With the inclusion of the
AccuWeather® information service, NFB-NEWSLINE® continues to be on the
cutting edge in providing independent access to much-needed information to
the blind of America."

Scott White, the director of NFB-NEWSLINE®, said: "We are excited to be the
first to bring this revolutionary independent access to emergency weather
information to the blind through our NFB-NEWSLINE® service.  Until this
point, the blind of America did not have instant access to emergency weather
alerts.   It was necessary for blind persons to rely on friends or family
members to read the weather alert text being scrolled across the bottom of
their television screens."

NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber David Denotaris said: "For the first time I am able
to easily gain access to emergency weather service alerts by making a phone
call.  With the addition of the AccuWeather® alerts on NFB-NEWSLINE®, I can
access the information that I need to keep my family safe.  To this day, the
alert systems available on television are not accessible to the blind, but
now with the AccuWeather® emergency warning system on NFB-NEWSLINE®, I will
have the same information and at the same time as my sighted co-workers,
neighbors, and peers."

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free audible newspaper and magazine reading service that
provides information to blind and print-disabled readers over the telephone,
online, and on the iPhone.  For more information or to register for
NFB-NEWSLINE® visit www.nfbnewsline.org, write to nfbnewsline at nfb.org, or
call 1- 866-504-7300.