[Nfbf-l] TSA Cares, a toll-free helpline

Patricia A. Lipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Tue Oct 2 01:57:50 UTC 2012

Just passing this along

On the quarterly TSA Disability Coalition teleconference held last week, we informed our members that TSA planned to launch TSA Cares, a toll-free helpline
to provide information and assistance to passengers with disabilities and medical conditions and their families before they fly. We are excited to announce
that TSA Cares is now available and accepting calls.

Travelers may call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787-2227 prior to traveling with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at the
security checkpoint. Travelers who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to contact TSA Cares or can e-mail
TSA-ContactCenter at dhs.gov.

The hours of operation for the TSA Cares helpline are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST, excluding federal holidays. After hours, travelers can
find information about traveling with disabilities and medical needs on TSA's website at:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/disabilityandmedicalneeds/

When a passenger with a disability or medical condition calls TSA Cares, a representative will provide assistance, either with information about screening
that is relevant to the passenger's specific disability or medical condition, or the passenger may be referred to disability experts at TSA. TSA recommends
that passengers call approximately 72 hours ahead of travel so that TSA Cares has the opportunity to coordinate checkpoint support with a TSA Customer
Service Manager located at the airport when necessary.

TSA will issue a press release regarding TSA Cares later today, as well as making information about TSA Cares available on
www.tsa.gov
. We will provide you with the specific link to TSA Cares information when it becomes active, as well as a link to the official press release.

We urge you to spread the word about TSA Cares so that those you represent have access to information about screening that is specific to their disabilities
or medical conditions. As always, the staff from the Office of Disability Policy and Outreach will be available to you to assist with disseminating information
about TSA Cares.

Thank you for your continued participation and support. We look forward to improving the screening experience for passengers through TSA Cares.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Walton, Special Counselor
Transportation Security Administration