[Nfbf-l] Making all Aware of the White Cane Law

Kirk Harmon kvharmon54 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 20:26:23 UTC 2013

Hello Alan, I still believe that people won't learn and understand the law until it is truly enforced by our law enforcement officers. Just like running a stop sign, not yielding at a yield sign, running a red light, turning right on red without proper right to do so. All the laws above and many more were made aware to drivers by all the citations written to others if not themselves and then the chatter starts across society. We as advocates  have been trying to reach out to people in ours for many years but very few people read or even know about the white cane law,especially PSA's when our efforts for this law is marketed differently focusing on efforts on law enforcement fofficials. we can do effective advocacy for this law ! I still suggest we talk to our mayors are police  Chiefs, and our sheriffs of our counties. When we advise them and make them aware of this law and our chiefs and sheriffs can train specifically their law enforcement traffic officials, to enforce i then and only then, do I believe we will actually start to see this law enforcement people make aware to our neighbors, of course this is just one man's opinion but I know the police chief in Orlando when I had a Meeting with him several years ago on the white cane law while he was not even aware of it after 33 years of being a police officer. He then told me he look it up, study  it and train his officers in a class about it as well. So you see, we really need to start with our officials at the top and  finish with  the Patrolman. then how important it is for the Public Safety for the blind and disabled and work from there rather than trying to  Reach out to the people themselves.
Your friend in the cause, Kirk
Sent from my iPhone