[Nfbf-l] Wendy Wilson Newsline Marketer featured in Lions' International magazine

Sherri flmom2006 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:17:29 UTC 2013

The following is an article that was featured in this month's edition of the
Lions' International Magazine about Wendy Wilson who helps take your
Newsline® calls and does her best to spread the word. My thanks to her for
her Newsline® marketing efforts. Here is a link to the article, but it is
also pasted below.
http://www.gogecapital.com/

Sherri Brun
NFBF Newsline® chair

IN THE SPOTLIGHT
ONE OF US
GWENYTH "WENDY"
WILSON
Diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 2,
Gwenyth "Wendy"Wilson lost her eyesight
in her early 30s because of diabetic
retinopathy. She's weathered many hardships,
including the death of her husband,
financial troubles and illness. Through it
all, she's retained an unflappable, positive
outlook, an infectious sense of humor and
a dedication to serving. Wilson logs more
than 100 hours monthly volunteering for
causes close to her heart-an accomplishment
that merited an award from the
Points of Light Foundation.Wilson credits
her DeLand Lions family in Florida as a
great source of support and inspiration, but
they have also learned from her how to
better serve the visually impaired.
Why do you love volunteering so much?
I do it because I love people. And I know how grateful I was when I was in
need and someone helped me. Regarding helping visually impaired people,
I've been there, done that, so I'm happy to help them find the resources.
What are some ways you assist visually impaired people?
I help out with the National Federation of the Blind Newsline. People can
call
in and listen to close to 400 different newspapers over the phone. At the
Impaired Vision Resource Foundation, we help connect people to resources.
I also assist in teaching a class for health care students and professionals
called Assisting Persons with Limited Vision.
What do students learn in the class?
They learn how to properly approach and guide a visually impaired person,
arrange things so a blind person can find them, etc. My friend Ray Siracusa
teaches the class, and I'm there to answer questions. I try to make the
students comfortable so they can ask me anything.
What's the most popular question?
They always want to know how I put my makeup on. I tell them I stand in
front
of the bathroom mirror. Even though I can't see it, that's where I've always
put my makeup on!
Why did you help develop this class?
People don't always know how to interact with visually impaired people.
When I was in the hospital, they would leave my meals without telling me and
I spilled a meal tray.They wouldn't identify what they were doing or would
walk away without telling me. People will speak very loudly and slowly.The
point is, we're human-just because we lost our eyesight doesn't mean we've
lost our intelligence or hearing. I often laugh about it, but I also want to
help
people understand these things.
You also have a passion for animals.
I'm a sucker for animals. I have a full house-two dogs, three cats, a
parrot, two
doves and a disabled macaw. Once a month I volunteer for HELP Animals, Inc.,
when they hold low-cost vaccination clinics. I get to play with the animals
and
hold them. It's like therapy.
Find out more about the NFB Newsline at
https://nfb.org/audio-newspaper-service.
Do you know a Lion who you think deserves a bit of recognition?
Email us a brief description of your Lion and the reason you're nominating
him or
her at lionmagazine at lionsclubs.org. Please include "One of Us" in the
subject
line.
Wilson holds her macaw, Casey, who says "hello"
every time the phone rings.
576