[Nfbf-l] Teck Tip of the Day: The Problem with 7Z compression utility

Alan Dicey adicey at bellsouth.net
Wed May 1 15:47:56 UTC 2013

Dear Friends,
This subject seems to have been ignored for some time now, and I feel
compelled to bring it to the attention of members on this fine list.
The Problem with 7Z compression utility

Firstly, if you install it, it wants to become the default "compression
program" on your computer, myself, I had to uninstall it as I simply could
not get   it to Not be the default compression program.

Secondly, Is that if you use it to compress a file, the person receiving
that file, will need that  7Z compression utility  to unpack the file.

I have not found another program that will extract the file compressed using
7Z
That is why I do not use it, as I want my friends to be able to extract the
files from the folder I sent them with whatever program they have on their
computers that is designed for extracting compressed files.

It seems 7Z compression utility  is trying to get a monopoly on compression.

I mean they are trying to force people to use their program.

I will not use it.

And if I receive a file that uses this program, I simply will go to
Convertfile.com and change the format of the 7Z compression utility  to
another one.
Or I will just delete the file, it depends on how much time I want to spend
on the file, what it is worth to me.

Just wanted to bring this subject to the attention of the fine members on
this list.

Summary, if you use 7Z to compress a folder, the person you sent that
compressed file to will need 7Z on their computer to extract the folder. And
also, you can change the format of a 7Z compression utility  , you do not
have to download the program to get the file extracted.

With Best Regards,
Alan Dicey
Miami, Florida
Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web.
Where the blind community will be inspired and entertained!
It's the BlindCafe.net
And it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and make long lasting
friendships with people from around the world.
There is always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day.
It's totally free! Come and try out our awesome   music, Chess Room, trivia
games, tutorials, and interactive chats, and a whole lot more!
It's totally accessible and easy to use.
For more info, please Visit us at www.BlindCafe.net
That's
www.BlindCafe.net
It's the site where our members matter