[Nfbf-l] invitation: come and join us at the FLAGDU meeting

Sherrill O'Brien Sherrill.obrien at verizon.net
Thu Jan 15 15:19:28 UTC 2015

Hello to all convention goers,

On behalf of the Florida Association of Guide Dog Users Board, I want to
invite  you to join us for our annual business meeting and seminar. It will
be held on Sunday, January 18, from 1:00 till 2:50 in the Cypress Room.

Tom and Deb Ryan have informed me that there should be someone to assist you
in finding the relief areas when you have checked in. There are two, one out
the front door across the parking lot, the other at the back of the hotel
near the pool area. There will be pick up bags available. Please be
responsible and do not leave these areas a stinky unsightly mess. Let's make
this the cleanest dog relief areas in state convention history! I thank you
in advance for your cooperation.

Starting on Friday evening, we will have a table available where you can
come and pay your dues to FLAGDU. This is a separate table from where you
register for convention, but in the same area. You will have other
opportunities to pay your dues throughout the weekend. As we have done in
the past, if you pay dues by 12:45 on Sunday, prior to our meeting, you will
be eligible for cash door prizes. Dues are still only five dollars, and when
you join, you automatically become a member of the National Association of
Guide Dog Users (NAGDU). We are again selling 50/50 tickets, six for $5,
thirteen for $10. If you care to buy more, we'll give you a great deal! The
drawing will take place at the banquet, so you must be present to win.

Following the business meeting, a representative from Southeastern Guide
Dogs will give us an update. If you are interested in getting your first or
fifth dog, come and learn what Southeastern has to offer.
You will then hear reports of what has been going on during the past year in
Florida and on the national level in terms of advocacy, legislation and
education. We are certainly fortunate to be able to claim the president of
NAGDU as  one of our own flagdu members and are grateful for his invaluable
participation in our meeting!

Board Member Kathy Davis will finish out the seminar by leading an extremely
beneficial discussion on retiring your guide dog.  She will encourage
audience participation, and I know this discussion will  be time well spent,
since we all must face these difficult decisions for us and our beloved
dogs.

Please join us Sunday at 1:00. We value your questions, suggestions and
enthusiasm. And there's surely nothing more gratifying to experience than a
roomful of beautiful well-behaved guide dogs!

Warm regards
Sherrill O'Brien, President
Florida Association of Guide Dog Users