[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Stand up for Uber in Florida!

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Mar 11 15:50:59 UTC 2015

Sherri via Nfbf-l wrote:
> Please join me in thanking Rep. Gaetz for putting forth legislation that
> Uber will stay in Florida. Uber is a wonderful ride-sharing service, much
> less expensive than cabs in my opinion. All drivers I have ridden with have
> welcomed me and my guide dog.
>
> Sherri

Good morning Sherry and everyone,

     Similar legislation has been introduced in Texas. Ubar has been in
a cat fight with the City of San Antonio ever since they began
operation. They along with lift announced that they would cease
operation in San Antonio due to the city's ride sharing ordinance being
so strict. Thankfully the state is stepping in and will put in place
regulations under which ride sharing companies will operate anywhere in
the state taking the business of rule making for such companies away
from local municipalities. They've been warmly welcomed in Austin,
Dallas, and Houston. I'm not sure how many blind Texans use ride sharing
services.

Mary and I would be curious to know how Ubar's fares stack up against
standard cab fares. We're considering using these services as a means to
combat some of the issues associated with using paratransit namely
traveling to your destination via the scenic route. This happened to her
last night. She was picked up from work and taken to University Hospital
in West San Antonio before being dropped off here a situation we find
totally ridiculous! We along with other paratransit patrons have filed
numerous complaints about this situation over the years and have not
seen any lasting resolution. Hopefully the use of ride sharing services
will be a partial answer at least for when you need to take
mission-critical trips.

     We have suggested an idea to the Via Metropolitan Transit Authority
the idea of offering two levels of service, shared and express service.
I know for a fact that Ubar does this but don't know about Lift. Via
Trans patrons could choose between a shared or an express trip when
scheduling a ride. Shared trips are your standard paratransit ride where
you share the vehicle with other patrons. Our idea is that Via Trans
could offer an "Express" service where for a higher fare patrons would
be given direct service from their pickup point to their destination
without having to share the ride with others who may be going to
destinations completely out of the patron's direction of travel. We have
no problems with shared service if everyone is going in the same
direction of travel and you arrive on time. But when the routes become
illogical it's enough to get our Irish up particularly when your plans
for the day are messed up big-time!

      As we understand things one can only use Ubar and Lift via a
smartphone app. This makes it difficult for those who do not yet own
smartphones. It would be wonderful if the legislation governing the
operation of ride sharing companies would include a requirement that
these companies offer their services to both smartphone and non
smartphone users. They could do this quite easily by allowing patrons to
schedule trips via their websites or an electronic telephone reservation
system as Greyhound does allowing them to keep expenses low and being
able to serve more people. If there is a way to tap in to these service
without needing a smartphone we need to be enlightened. Upgrading to
smartphones is inthe cards for us later this year, but others feel more
comfortable making reservations using the plain old telephone or via
their PC. We're glad to hear that Texas not the only state considering
legislation governing the operation of ride sharing services within
their borders. All the best.

     Peter Donahue