[Nfbf-l] {Disarmed} Fw: Stand up for Uber in Florida!

Jorge Paez jorgeapaez1994 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:21:20 UTC 2015

Hi all:
First of all, I strongly disagree with the idea of forcing companies
to have non-smart-phone methods of creating reservations.
I think this is going beyond the scope of what accessibility covers
and I think the companies should have the prerogative when it comes to
what methods they allow and do not allow or have and do not have for
their services, as long as, their services, and methods to obtain them
therein are completely accessible.
As for the dog issue brought up by Marion , that'll be a sticky issue
for sometime.
The main legal problem is, drivers are not employees of these
companies the way I understand it, they are independent contractors.
Lift for instance, makes it clear that they are only the method for
getting your ride and paying for it and that they do not necessarily
control the driver past the extent of their business through the app.
So I'm not exactly sure how that would work.
Also, the religious/fear issue is another complication.
I don't think this would be solved by the law, it would have to be
some company policy that changed.
The problem is this is a catch 22 since by Uber telling drivers they
have no choice but to accept guide dogs they can easily cause
religious discrimination lawsuits on themselves.
Maybe this would be fixed if these companies operated by a more
standard employment agreement in which the drivers were employees
rather then independent contractors of the company?
If that's the case though that's not going to happen since the whole
point of these apps is not to have drivers but to simply serve as the
portal for drivers and clients to connect.
Maybe if it became a requirement for you to state on your profile that
you were blind/had a dog, etc., then the app could narrow your list of
possible drivers down to those that would accept dogs?
True, that could be considered discrimination by some but that's the
only work around I'd see that would be suitable to both us as clients
and the companies involved.

Just my thoughts.

Jorge