[Nfbf-l] Rep. Alan Grayson on Vision Loss

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Jun 2 21:26:56 UTC 2016

Dear all,

                I thought everyone would like to know what Congressman Alan
Grayson (D-Florida, 9th congressional District) thinks about you and me as
blind citizens. I am certainly glad to hear Rep. Grayson's enlightened
commentary on blindness. Though I am not sure of his expertise in this area,
I am certainly happy to find out how hapless my life is!

                On may 31, 2016 at 2:28 pm Contressman Grayson posted the
following message to Facebook:

            Vision loss is gradual imprisonment, with no possibility of
parole - no driving, no cooking, no entertainment, and, ultimately, no
communication. That isolation not only steals our seniors' independence, it
also relegates the responsibilities of basic care onto busy loved ones and
friends.

Vision loss also increases the likelihood of accidents and accidental injury
and death. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates
direct annual medical costs for older American adults with vision impairment
at more than $8 billion.

There are 2.7 million seniors in America who are blind. How many of them
would be able to see today if they had received a simple annual eye exam as
part of their Medicare coverage?

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala