[Nfbf-l] Rep. Alan Grayson on Vision Loss

Dan Hicks danjhicks at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 22:09:37 UTC 2016

Here is what I contributed to his Facebook page:

"I am a progressive liberal and, therefore, have been one of your supporters, financially and otherwise. However, you are way off the mark with this comment. Obviously you don't know very many blind people. While it is true that we can't drive, we can do almost anything else, sometimes a bit differently, but we can get it done and usually with as much enjoyment as any sighted person. Before making stupid statements about blindness, try substituting any other group of citizens who are sometimes cast aside or pitied. "Being black imprisonment, with no possibility of parole" or "being female..." or "being gay..." There are things you and Congress can do to help the blind, and we make efforts to inform you and other reps and senators all about them, but posts like this hurt more than help. The law you are introducing sounds great, but you need to come up with a better way to support it. Frankly, this is post reads like something that I would coming from Donald Trump. You can do better and you need to do so. I think you need to walk this back, immediately."

I hope I made an impression.

Sent from my iPhone