[Nfbf-l] OT: Credit Card Companies Offering Disaster Assistance

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 15:35:32 UTC 2017

Dear All,

                I realize this is not directly blindness related; however, I
believe it is valuable information many of us can use. I received a message
from the issuer of some of my credit cards offering assistance to those who
were impacted by hurricanes Harvey & Irma. As I contacted each of my
issuers, I found some valuable information I would like to share with you.
Each of them offered me a deferral of my September payment and one (CITI)
gave us a two month deferral. Each also cancelled the accrual of interest
during this month and any late fees that would normally be assessed. Our
mortgage company has also offered to defer the payment of our mortgage for
three months and accrued interest; however, the caviot was that we would be
required to pay the balance of the deferred payments at the end of the 90
deferral period, though they said we might be able to modify the loan. Since
there were no guarantees the modification would be approved, I opted to not
do this. . This will be helpful to Merry and me as we have some damage due
to the storm needing repair. If you need some assistance due to the impact
of these storms, simply contact the issuer of your line of credit and ask
for it. It is not difficult but it is a bit time-consuming. For instance,
though Synchrony Bank issues our JCP, Walmart, and Amazon cards, each has
their own customer service group, so we needed to contact each separately.

                I hope this information is helpful to you as we come out of
this stressful period and move forward.

Peace & Blessings!

Marion Gwizdala