[NFBF-L] Legislative Information and Call to Action

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Wed Jul 17 00:51:40 UTC 2019

Legislative Information and Call to Action
Follow up on Legislative Committee call this evening. Thank you all for joining we will not be successful without you. The most important thing in “success” is “U”!

I would like to create a database of our members and their districts. This way if we have need to focus on a specific district we can contact those members directly. The information needed is: full name, district (National level), phone number, and email address.

Valuable website mention previous meetings.

Find information on a bill, your congressmen and women, committees, etc.

www.Congress.gov

Current focus:

Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA)

Senate Information:

S 815

Sponsor: Senator Boozman, John (R-AZ)

Cosponsors: (14)

Committees:  Senate – Finance (no Florida Senators)

Action: On March 14, 2019 read twice and referred to the Committee on Finance

House Information:

HR 2086

Sponsor:  Rep. Thompson, Mike (D-CA-5)

Cosponsors: (18)

Florida Cosponsors:Gaetz, Matt (R-FL-1)Murphy, Stephanie (D-FL-7)

Committees: House-Ways and Means

Florida Committee Members: Murphy, Stephanie (Majority)

Buchanan, Vern (Minority)

Please contact Buchanan, Vern (Minority) and all other Florida House    of Representatives who have not cosponsored.

If you are in the district of the two cosponsors, please reach out to thank them for their support.

Script to use when calling or emailing:

Hello,

My name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your senator/representative].  I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your senator/representative] to cosponsor [S. 815 for Senate calls/H.R. 2086 for House calls], the Access Technology Affordability Act. This legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost of these technologies. I urge [your senator/representative] to cosponsor the bill.

With warm regards and gratitude, (your name)

 You can contact your member of Congress by calling the Capitol Switchboard and asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121.

If you email your representative or senators, please copy Merry Schoch at merrys at verizon.net and Gabe Cazares at gcazares at nfb.org

Sent from my iPad