[NFBF-L] FW: [fcb-l] DBS Media Report 2-4-20

PLipovsky plipovsky at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 5 15:38:38 UTC 2020

DBS Media Report

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Yahoo Finance: How Legal Justice Advocates is Helping Provide Fair Housing
for All
<https://finance.yahoo.com/news/legal-justice-advocates-helping-fair-1525518
90.html>

With this information, a potential landlord could exclude specific
categories of renters, including the vision and hearing impaired, from
finding or renting from them. HUD Secretary Ben Carson said that now using a
computer to find housing while being discriminated against can be just as
jarring as getting a door slammed in a face. These charges came one week
after Facebook agreed to overhaul targeted advertising systems after
allegations that landlords, lenders, and employers were using the online
platform to discriminate against individuals. For years, advocates of civil
rights have warned Facebook that their advertisements have violated
anti-discrimination laws. Advertisers were able to exclude certain groups of
people, including minorities, those with disabilities, and others.

M Live: Sleeping Bear Dunes
<https://www.mlive.com/life/2020/02/sleeping-bear-dunes-new-app-to-help-visi
tors-explore-more-of-the-park.html> ' New App to Help Visitors Explore More
of the Park

A recently released mobile app seeks to help visitors at Sleeping Bear Dunes
National Lakeshore enjoy even more adventures in the park. The free app,
simply named "NPS Sleeping Bear Dunes," aims to be an intuitive visitors'
guide offering information previously found only on printed brochures or on
the park's website: maps, points of interest, history, locations of beaches
and trailheads, service details on wheelchair access and restrooms,
campground information, an events calendar, and more.

Modern Healthcare: Federal Judge Dismisses Disability Lawsuit Against Epic
<https://www.modernhealthcare.com/information-technology/federal-judge-dismi
sses-disability-lawsuit-against-epic>

A federal judge on Friday granted Epic Systems Corp.'s motion to dismiss a
lawsuit filed early last year, which alleged that blind hospital employees
can't use the company's software. The National Federation of the Blind sued
Epic in U.S. District Court in Massachusetts, arguing that the company
violated the Massachusetts Fair Employment Practices Act, a law that's
designed to protect employees from discrimination. The advocacy group argued
that by selling and licensing electronic health records software that's
inaccessible to blind employees, Epic interfered with those employees'
ability to work in the healthcare industry.

Patch: Visual Impairment as Subject
<https://patch.com/new-york/foresthills/visual-impairment-subject>

Thanks to many organizations such as Beyond Sight and the Department of
Cultural Affairs NYC, art is more accessible to many people including those
with visual and physical impairments. Also, more museums, such as the
Metropolitan Museum of Art, now offer ways for the visually impaired to be
up close with art through programs that allow participants to touch the
artwork. As art evolves, artists too evolve in their practice and what they
want from their art for their community.

The Seattle Times: Student Voices: In Nepal She Couldn
<https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/student-voices-in-nepal-she-coul
dnt-go-to-school-because-she-was-blind-in-washington-she-found-a-culture-of-
inclusion/> 't Go To School Because She Was Blind. In Washington She Found A
Culture Of Inclusion

Finally, I began wondering why others could go to school and I couldn't.
That's when my family explained to me that I was blind. Not only were
students with disabilities not accepted in Nepali culture, but there were
also no accommodations that would allow me to succeed at a school there.
When I was 4, we moved to the United States, and two years later, I finally
got my wish: I enrolled in Hazelwood Elementary, a public school in the
Edmonds School District and the only school in Washington with a program for
people with visual impairments.

Accessibility

Mash Viral: Twitter Launches Text Descriptions for GIFs
<https://mashviral.com/twitter-launches-text-descriptions-for-gifs/>

It may not be an edit button (and it never will be), but Twitter has a handy
feature that we can use to play the weekend of the Super Bowl. If you've
ever watched Twitter while exercising, you've probably seen countless GIFs
on Friday, by adding the ability to add text descriptions to GIFs. It is an
extension of the same function that has been around for a while for still
images.

Eye Health

PR Newswire: Bausch + Lomb and Prevent Blindness Join Together to Raise
Awareness and Provide Educational Resources for February
<https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/bausch--lomb-and-prevent-blindness
-join-together-to-raise-awareness-and-provide-educational-resources-for-febr
uarys-age-related-macular-degeneration-awareness-month-300997447.html> 's
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Awareness Month

Bausch + Lomb, a leading global eye health business of Bausch Health
Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC), and Prevent Blindness, the nation's oldest
volunteer eye health non-profit organization, today announced they are
collaborating throughout the month of February for the fifth consecutive
year to raise awareness of Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), one of
the leading causes of vision loss in adults 50 years of age and older.

Tallahassee Democrat: Healthy Vision: Focus On Prevention To Protect
Eyesight
<https://www.tallahassee.com/story/life/wellness/2020/02/03/healthy-vision-f
ocus-prevention-protect-peepers/4641528002/>

In years past I had the unique opportunity to work with a worldwide
prevention initiative, Project ORBIS, Inc. This international not-for-profit
organization worked out of a DC-8 aircraft equipped with a surgical area and
other technology and traveled to far flung parts of the world. I had the
opportunity to work as the first individual in outreach opportunities off
the plane to address many-varied ocular conditions with a focus on
prevention and early intervention - primary eye care (akin to the primary
health care approach with a focus on eye care).  This program continues with
a DC-10 aircraft.

Invision Mag: Americans Want More From Eyecare But Fear Costs, Study
Suggests
<https://invisionmag.com/americans-want-more-from-eyecare-but-fear-costs-stu
dy-suggests/>

The study found that most Americans will receive an eye exam in the next two
years, if not sooner. Still, just 13% say they go to their eye doctor for
both routine eyecare, such as glasses, and addressing potential symptoms of
chronic conditions, according to a press release from Versant. This is
despite the fact that an eye exam can non-invasively screen for upwards of
30 different chronic conditions, like diabetes and hypertension.