[NFBF-L] NFBF 2020 History Project Conference Call -- Everyone is invited

danjhicks at yahoo.com danjhicks at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 04:31:30 UTC 2020

".Don't know much about history."

Ah, but you know more than you realize!

Greetings fellow Federation members,

You are all invited to the second in a limited number of very special
conference calls, Wednesday, February 19, at 8:00 PM Eastern time. The
reason for these calls is to gather your memories, impressions, and accounts
of the accomplishments and happenings of the National Federation of the
Blind of Florida. Please read on.

The National Federation of the Blind of Florida was founded almost 50 years
ago. If you have been a member of the NFBF for any length of time at all,
you know that the organization has a long and eventful history, and that the
organization celebrates that history.

We want to preserve our history for the years and decades to come. But, to
do that, this history must first be captured and recorded and displayed for
all to see. This is a project to which we can all contribute. And, I think
it will be a lot of fun or everyone involved.

The National Federation of the Blind of Florida was founded in 1970. That
means, when we all attend the 2020 NFBF State Convention, the affiliate will
be 50 years old. Think of it - fifty years of the National Federation of the
Blind of Florida. A lot of people have been involved with our organization
through all of those years. Some of them have passed on. But many of us are
still here and we all have stories to tell.

NFBF President Denise Valkema has tasked me with creating a presentation of
our NFBF history for our 50th annual convention in 2020. This is an exciting
project, but I cannot do it alone. I will need your help. Only teamwork will
make the dream work, and this is a dream that is worth turning into a
reality!

I believe that the model that best suits the preservation of our story is
the oral history. Our project will mostly be in written form, but we may
include audio and video recordings.

What I am asking you to do is to call in Wednesday night and contribute your
memories, your stories, and your accounts of the NFBF. Think back to your
experiences with the organization. Don't worry if you can't think of
anything in particular, listening to the recollections of others will help
to spark your own memories. Don't worry if you can't pinpoint where or when
the event took place. Others on the call may be able to help with placing
your memories in time and location. If you called in last time, we welcome
hearing from you again.

To make this even more fun and exciting, there will be a drawing from among
the names of everyone who participates and five winners will each receive a
$10.00 Amazon gift card! The drawing will take place at the upcoming NFBF
State Convention, but you need not be present to win.

Here is the information you will need to call in:

Wednesday, February 19, 2020, at 8:00 PM.

The phone  number for the call will be 712-775-7031

The Code is 488500#

Dialing in from a smartphone? Use this shortcut:  712-775-7031,,488500#

Please note that this is a different phone number than the one we used for
the last call. It appears that this number has fewer problems than the one
we used last month.

This call will be recorded. If the line is busy, please keep trying until
you get in.

If you have any questions, please write to me at
<mailto:history at nfbflorida.org> history at nfbflorida.org or
<mailto:danjhicks at gmail.com> danjhicks at gmail.com with the word "History" in
the subject line.

I look forward to speaking with all of you and I look forward to your
memories and ideas.

Dan Hicks

NFBF 2020 History Project Chairperson