[NFBF-L] Washington Seminar report

merrys at verizon.net merrys at verizon.net
Thu Feb 20 18:43:39 UTC 2020

Hello Florida Federation Family,

This year we made some changes to our Washington seminar and I believe they
were fruitful.  We asked presidents of each chapter to submit two names from
the chapter of who they felt would represent their chapter and district
well. Then the state board approved those members who were selected to go to
DC. With the financial help of the chapters who had a member attend, they
paid the member's per diem.  This allowed the affiliate to assist 13 members
to attend our Washington seminar - five more delegates than in the past.
One of these individuals was a student so she stayed with the students at
the hotel which the National Association of Blind Students paid for her
hotel stay and we paid for her travel. Eleven members stayed in a beautiful
Airbnb townhouse.  A block away from the townhouse was a street full of
restaurants, convenient stores, etc. The townhouse housed the ladies and the
apartment (basement) housed the guys - except Russ; he stayed on a couch in
the townhouse. It was great to gather at night and talk and get to know one
another better; a great bonding experience.

We worked hard on the Hill and had great appointments.  We have already
received co-sponsorships from these appointments. Again, we will need the
support of our membership.  Soon John Pare will be sending out emails asking
for our support.  Please respond to his requests.  Keeping our organization
in front of our legislators is how we create and maintain relationships. I
appreciate your support towards our legislative initiatives.  Delegates of
Washington seminar, get together with chapter members and visit your
representatives when they come home.  The more they see us; the more they
will remember us!

With warmest regards,

Merry