[NFBF-L] training centers

Jorge Alejandro Paez iamjorgeapaez94 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 19:39:01 UTC 2020

Hi Roanna:
Because with all due respect, as I know you’re a graduate of Daytona, in terms of independent living skills I learned literally nothing over there, except for Holly Ryan’s travel instruction, because she’s awesome.
Don’t get me wrong I’m sure all the instructors are really good, have all their degrees in order and whatnot, and they are all very professional, I just felt there like I did when I was a little kid at a bunch of the state-run centers that I went to for youth programs in New York, like I was just scratching the surface of things, and socializing with random people who are going through the same stuff.
For instance the dorms and food.
We had food every single day, 3 times a day, and then we were in dorms.
Plus with the constant supervision I felt like we weren’t really responsible for anything.
Did I learn a few minor things here and there?
Absolutely but did I learn as much as I would at an NFB center? Nope.
And I have a mini experience with the NFB centers from having been at Life101 which was Blind Inc’s youth version of the adult program but that was easy to ask for in a way since NYC didn’t have it’s own center to argue for.

Jorge