[NFBF-L] Nomination and Support for State Elections

Nicole D Fincham-Shehan ndfinchamshehan at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 3 02:18:20 UTC 2020

Good Evening,

I pray this finds you all well.  I am writing to tell you a little about myself.

For those of you who do not know me, my name is Nicole D. Fincham-Shehan and I am a current member of the Treasure Coast Chapter and Chair of the Blind Parents Connect Committee for the NFB of Florida.

I have been a member of the National Federation of the Blind of Florida since October 2017.  However, I have been involved in the National Federation of the Blind of Maryland since October 1985.

I have grown up in the federation and have dedicated my entire adult life to serving this awesome organization.  During my time in this organization I have helped to create new chapters.  The most recent chapter I have helped to create was the T.L.C. Or Towson, Lutherville and Cockesville Chapter located in Lutherville/Timonium,Maryland.  This chapter was created in July 2015.

Since moving to Florida in August 2017, I currently serve as the chair of the Blind Parents Connect Committee since its inception in October 2017.  In addition, I have also served as the Vice President for two years and a Board Member for one year in the Palm Beach Chapter.  In addition, I also serve on the Deaf Blind Division for the NFB of Florida.

I am writing to ask for your nomination and support to be elected to the National Federation of the Blind of Florida state Board.  It would be an honor and privilege to serve this affiliate.  I have and will continue to give this organization my whole heart and soul.  In addition, not only will I serve the members of this great affiliate, our local chapters, national organization, but our communities.  I truly believe the work we do is so important and we need to share that with community organizations and help to build and grown our membership.  We need to engage, mentor and most important get the younger generation involved so they can continue to build on the work we are doing and have continued to do from those who came before us.

Just to share a little about me, I am married with three children.  I have a daughter in college majoring in nursing and she is 21 years old.  I raised her as a single parent and learned the trials and tribulations of not only being a 19 year old single mom, but being blind.  I had just completed my freshman year of college when my daughter was born, and I was determined to not let my situation or disability define me, but make me stronger.  Therefore, with the determination and love of the NFB, I was able to complete my degrees and raise a beautiful young lady as a single parent, until I met my husband in 2012.  We have been married since July 2016 and have two children together.  We have a son that is four years old and a daughter that is 20months.  My family is the light of my life and without their love and support, I would not be able to do what I do in the federation.

I have attached a copy of my resume for those who would like to know a little bit more about me personally and the involvement I have within the community and making lives better for all those with disabilities, but especially those who are blind.

I sincerely hope and pray that you will stand behind me and support me being elected to the NFB of Florida State Baord, as I promise, I will work to achieve all we need to do to enhance the lives of blind individuals and  especially blind parents within the state of Florida.  I thank you for your support.

Thank you
Nicole